Here is a warming, satisfying and yummy soup to try with the fabulous flavours of coconut, lemongrass and ginger.
2 tablespoons coconut oil
2 large onions, peeled and chopped
4 cloves garlic finely chopped or pressed
1 tablespoons fresh ginger root, minced (or use a drop of Ginger oil if you don’t have the fresh root)
1–2 drops Lemongrass essential oil
4 tablespoons tomato puree
4 carrots, peeled and chopped
4 tablespoons curry powder
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
8 cups vegetable stock
2 cans coconut milk
4 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped
3 cups dried red lentils
4–6 handfuls baby spinach
Salt and pepper to taste
Tip: Add some brown sugar for a sweeter curry taste.
- Melt the coconut oil over a medium heat, and then add the onion, garlic and fresh ginger (if you are using the oil, add later). Cook until the onion is transparent, and then add in the carrots and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Then, add the tomato puree, curry powder and red pepper flakes and cook for another 1–2 minutes, stirring constantly until all vegetables are coated and all those amazing flavours are combined.
- Next, add the vegetable stock, the coconut milk, the chopped tomatoes and the lentils. Cover with a lid and bring back up to the boil. Once this happens, reduce the heat to low so that the soup is gently simmering.
- Add the Lemongrass essential oil (and Ginger if you are using the oil) and simmer the soup for about 30 minutes until the lentils are softened.
- Season to taste, and then add the baby spinach and continue to simmer until it is wilted.
- It is time to serve your soup! You can garnish with a handful of coriander and a tablespoon of sour cream.